Monday, August 6, 2007

Overnight at Mass Maritime Academy (MMA)

So when we got to MMA, we had no idea what was going on. We didn't know where to find our bags, where to pitch our tent (answer: apparently anywhere you wanted). We didn't know where the showers were. As a result the whole 'setting up camp' and basic personal hygiene was a very slow process. But it was OK - we got everything figured out. And now we know for next year.

We camped where we found all the other tents, which was right below a giant wind turbine. I've decided that I officially love wind turbines. I know, I know, they're awfully bulky. But they are sleek, and fairly mesmerizing. And I like listening to the wind whistling through it. This was the view from our "front porch" so to speak:


For the record, I did not hear a single person say "gee, thats ugly" nor did I see a single bird get hit by any of the blades. They don't move THAT fast - or so it appears from the ground. I guess maybe if I was up there I might feel differently.

Behind the small tents is a big tent - the massage tent. While we were fumbling around trying to figure out where to get our stuff, etc, we blew our chances for a massage. But now we know. you go over and make that appointment before you do anything else - like pee, eat, drink, shower, set up a tent or even find your bags (maybe even before you find your spouse...). You get the appointment FIRST. Otherwise, they run out. You can wait standby, but you'll be waiting in a line a hundred people long. Even with my shoulder pain, there was no way I was waiting in that line.

The weather was great - not a cloud in the sky. Well, that isn't quite true. There was this one that we saw on our way to bed:
But other than THAT, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. It was beautiful. Windy when we arrived, but that died down as the sea breeze died as the sun set. It was maybe 70-75 degrees.

There was a lot of food to be had. I made Ken accompany me to eat at least one of everything I could find. Except the Legal Seafood chowder. I had 2 of those. I even had a baked potato covered in vegetarian chili, sour cream & cheese. It was very tasty, as was everything else, and it all kept hitting the spot. We ate and ate and ate until we were ready for bed - and by the time I was actually falling asleep, I was hungry again. And of course, free beer. The problem with this is that after riding 110 miles in a 95 degree day, you don't really need any beer at all. We settled on one free beer, simply because it was there. Thanks Harpoon! Seems like plenty of other people were not worried about dehydration or anything like that, though.

There was musical entertainment at MMA as well, although for me it was too loud. But I am a giant stick-in-the-mud who doesn't like loud music. So we went off toward the part of the campus that lies along the Cape Cod Canal & found our little niche. We sat on a 'sea wall' (if you can call it that) and admired the view.
As you can tell, so were many other people. On that wall behind Ken, the photographer was trying to do some big team photographs - but he was getting angry that people were carrying their free beer & plates of food into the photo. Apparently, thats not what they want in their photos :-)

This is the view we had while we finished our beer...
It was still a little hazy out, but you can just make out 2 bridges in the photo. The bridge in the foreground is a railroad bridge, which was actually lowered after I took the shot to allow a train to cross. The bridge in the background, which you can just barely make out, is the Bourne Bridge. That's the bridge we rode over. It was very high, and was nice & quite at 6 in the morning. We had a lane, or part of a lane I should say, coned off for us. I had read that if we didn't stay within the cones, the Army Corps of Engineers was going to take away that lane next year, so I got stuck behind someone who was going very slow over the bridge (it was a little steep). But it was OK - gave me a little bit of time to admire the view. But I had to be careful not to hit the person in front of me. My tendency on a hill is just to spin spin spin until its done - its the easiest way for me to get over it. Apparently, not many people do that. Instead, they slow way down, and use a bigger gear than they probably should and struggle through it.

No comments: